Thursday, August 20, 2026

Big wind project sent back for more study

Province orders year of field surveys for Harbour Hills

  • August 19 2026
  • By Alec Bruce, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter    

GUYSBOROUGH CO. – EverWind Fuels’ proposed Harbour Hills wind farm has failed to secure provincial environmental approval after Environment and Climate Change Minister Tim Halman ruled that its filing lacks key data.

In his Aug. 13 decision, Halman ordered at least one year of field research across roughly 60 square kilometres covering the locations of 30 proposed turbines in an area that, he wrote, “did not have baseline field surveys completed for flora and fauna.”

The work must cover mainland moose, bats, birds, turtles, plants and lichen, and include precise locations, spatial data, survey results and survey efforts. “I require additional information,” Halman wrote.

Halman gave EverWind NS Holdings Ltd. and Membertou Development Corporation one year to submit that information as an addendum to the original registration. Once they file it, the province will open a 40-day public comment period. Halman will then have 50 days to make a decision.

Asked how the company accounted for the missing baseline surveys, Claire Parsons, EverWind’s director of communications, told The Journal last week, “EverWind is currently reviewing the Environment Minister’s decision regarding the Harbour Hills Wind Project.”

She added: “Our plans for Harbour Hills have not changed, and we remain committed to advancing the project and working with Nova Scotia Environment and Climate Change to provide the additional information requested and continue the environmental assessment process.”

Formerly known as Wind Farm 3, Harbour Hills was registered with the province June 24. It proposes 107 turbines capable of generating up to 856 megawatts across approximately 24,000 hectares in the Municipality of the District of Guysborough and the Municipality of the District of St. Mary’s. Construction had been expected to begin in 2030.

The initiative is one of three large Guysborough County wind projects in EverWind’s Phase 2 plan to generate renewable electricity for its planned green hydrogen and ammonia operations at Point Tupper.

Setapuktuk – a 54-turbine, 432-megawatt project – was approved last November, while Ocean Lake – approved July 2 subject to 61 terms and conditions – proposes up to 158 turbines generating 1.26 gigawatts.

Altogether, the projects would comprise as many as 319 turbines generating roughly 2.55 gigawatts of renewable electricity.

According to Parsons, Harbour Hills has “the potential to attract new investment, create good jobs and deliver long-term economic benefits for rural communities in the region.”

In its filing, EverWind said the project would create between 350 and 450 construction jobs and employ 30 to 40 people during operations. It projected about $7 million annually in municipal tax revenue and more than $800,000 a year through a community benefits agreement, along with opportunities for local contractors, suppliers and Indigenous businesses.

Reaction during community open houses in May was mixed. Some residents welcomed the prospect of jobs and investment, while others questioned the project’s environmental footprint and whether host communities would receive a fair share of the economic benefits.

Sonora resident Jason Collingwood told The Journal at the time that he supported renewable energy but remained concerned about the scale of forest clearing required for turbine sites and access roads, along with potential effects on wetlands, wildlife habitat, lakes, streams and tourism.

“I’m all for renewable energy, but not for the destruction of forests and wetlands,” he said.

Before registering Harbour Hills, EverWind said years of environmental studies and public consultation had reshaped the project. According to its filing, the company reduced the project’s footprint, relied on existing roads and previously disturbed land wherever possible, removed the northern portion of the study area because of its ecological significance and relocated infrastructure to reduce potential impacts on wetlands, watercourses, wildlife habitat and species at risk.

If ultimately approved, Harbour Hills would operate for about 35 years.